Gospel of Thomas Saying 106

Previous - Gospel of Thomas Home - Next

This Gospel of Thomas Commentary is part of the Gospel of Thomas page at Early Christian Writings.

Nag Hammadi Coptic Text

Gospel of Thomas Coptic Text


(106) Jesus said: When you make the two one, you will become sons of man, and when you say: Mountain, move away, it will move away.


(106) Jesus said, "when you (plur.) make the two into one you will become sons of man, and when you say, 'O mountain, go elsewhere!' it will go elsewhere."


110 [106]. Jesus says: "When you make the two one, you will become sons of Man and if you say: 'Mountain, move!', it will move."

Funk's Parallels

GThom 22:4, GThom 23, GThom 49, GThom 75, GThom 48, Luke 17:5-6, Matt 17:19-20, Matt 21:18-22, Mark 11:20-25, 1 Cor 13:2, Ign Eph. 5.2.

Visitor Comments

This reflects the Buddhist vision of life that our concepts of the world as separate from ourselves are illusions of duality. When the object and subject are one, you are enlightenned and you can move mountains. This idea is similar to that expressed in "the kingdom of heaven is laid upon the earth but men do not see it." Eternity is now. Heaven is now.
- Buddha

Anything is possible when everyone becomes a whole.
- seeker of truth

The two become one are the synthesis of thinking and feeling. When in Zen meditation you reach "sartori" you achieve a state of being beyond both. I call it "fielnking". In this state you can tell the "mountains" of fear that hide the divine to go elsewhere AND they go!
- Rodney

Every act of creation seems to have been a division of one thing from another. Adam was both male and female (female was in him) until the female was removed from him and given a separate identity in Eve. It seems (in reflection on this) that neither male nor female even existed until the separation took place...in the same way that there was no night or day, indeed these words had no meaning, until light was separated from darkness. Now I consider "Making the two one" in the context of Saying 18; "For where the beginning is, there will the end be." Seems to me that Jesus is implying that what G-d has 'put asunder', we are destined to make one. In His plan, we are to seek the unity and wholeness of state that is represented by G-d. The notions of the "female becoming male" make more sense in this context (for me anyway).
- Eric

I believe that the two becoming one are our conscious mind and our subconscious mind. There are times in your life that your subconscious meets your conscious and you say to yourself that you felt bad because something reminded you of a bad experience from the past. Your sub conscious met your conscious. We use 5% of our brain they say the other 95% of our brain is doing things we don't know about. We have this supercomputer on our shoulders but nobody gave us an owner's manual. If we were able to point both conciousnesses in the same direction long enough we can move mountains and we have. Aristotle, Plato, Archemides, Alexander the Great, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Edison. I feel that the Gospel of Thomas has shown us that Jesus wanted to inspire people and he did, why else did so many follow. He preached of the power within. We are the sons of man, heaven is here on earth if we listen to the words and live by them. I don't want to die with my music still in me, I want to sing and dance while here.
- daviderenne@hotmail.com

Once we see the illusions that surround us on this plane, we begin to see that the problems we see as mountains are actually of our own making and we can very easily move them.
- daisy

Scholarly Quotes

Bentley Layton writes of the phrase "sons of man": "Perhaps extending to all Christians of either sex. 'Son of man' or 'child of the human being' was a traditional eschatological title applied to Jesus in some early Christian circles; the arrival of the heavenly 'son of man' would signal the arival of god's kingdom." (The Gnostic Scriptures, p. 398)

J. D. Crossan writes: "Turner has suggested that the 'spirituality implid in the Gospel of Thomas is a type of unitive mysticism. The theme of unity runs through the document as a whole. In two sayings it replaces the synoptic "faith" as the force which removes mountains (Sayings 48 and 106). The second saying has a more distinctively gnostic ring than the first' (Turner and Montefiore: 105). Quispel has even said that 106 has 'targumized' 48 by 'hinting at the reunion of opposites, male and female, above and below, inner and outer' (1958-1959:288). But it is probably also true that Thomas now reads 48 in light of 106 (Menard, 1976: 150), since there is already a thematic complex in 46-49 on this subject (see Turner and Montefiore: 80)." (In Fragments, p. 207)

If you like the site, please buy the CD to support its work and get bonus stuff!
Copyright 2012 Peter Kirby <E-Mail>. See the Gospel of Thomas Bibliography & Credits.

Gospel of Thomas Saying 106

Previous - Gospel of Thomas Home - Next